Lifestyle: Voluntary leaders: new year resolutions for 2014

As we welcome in the new year, individuals from the voluntary sector share their resolutions for 2014

As the new year begins, we asked leaders and individuals in the charity sector to tell us their hopes and aims for 2014.

The resolutions were of a wide variety as one said: "I aim to go back to the future, to work out what engages and inspires young people today, I need to 'get down with the kids'." Another said: "I'd like charities and social enterprises to communicate in more personal ways with their key stakeholders." While another told us: "I want to work on funding by writing bids and applying to trusts and funders, to ensure Freedom is sustainable, so I can work somewhere other than my kitchen counter."

Don't forget to share your new year resolutions in the comments section below.

Jan Tregelles, chief executive, Mencap

"My new year resolution for 2014 is to ensure that Mencap has a growing relevance to the younger generation. The leadership team and I face an interesting challenge, to re-familiarise ourselves with our youth. I aim to go back to the future, to work out what engages and inspires young people today, I need to 'get down with the kids'. They are the attitude changers, campaigners and fundraisers of the future. What better way to embark on this challenge than with my own family. I plan to harness ideas, creativity, and energy from my very first focus group – my six children."

Meredith Niles, head of innovation, Marie Curie Cancer Care

"My new year resolution is to be more intentional about my diary management. Resources are always scarce within a charity, and nothing is more precious than time. I can't add hours to my day, so the only way to grow my impact is to be more mindful of how to invest my time.

"I commit to make time for the important, not just the urgent, and to take the time to reconnect with the reasons that led me to the work I do in the first place. I promise to allow more time for reflection and thoughtful assessment, so that I can bring the best of my thinking into my work. I pledge to my colleagues that I will treat their time with the same respect I give my own."

Zoe Amar, founder and director, Zoe Amar Communications

"There are three things I would love charities to do this year. One, social media needs to be at the heart of every organisation's strategy. Many charities are using social media but it's time to take it to the next level. Judging by the huge response to the Top 30 Charity chief executives on Social Media Awards which I co-founded this year, leaders are keen to tap into the potential of digital. On that note, and in the wake of the Panorama documentary, I think that charities' executive teams and boards need to reinforce how transparent their organisations are, and digital communications are key.

"Finally, charities should look at how they can strengthen their brands further. I love Afrikids; they're a small charity but their identity and key messages are strong, which makes them stand out in a very competitive field."

Caroline Roques, PR manager, BT MyDonate

"Make the first ever Tag Rugby Trust fundraising dinner and auction a success! The charity has been running for over 10 years, and this is our first foray into fundraising via an auction. I'm helping to organise the event at Madame Tussaud's in London at the end of March.

"Martin Bayfield has kindly agreed to host it for us, and we're hoping to attract rugby players, past and present, to be there on the night. We'll be using MyDonate from BT to ensure that we're making the most of funds raised. The potential maximum funds will support the community rugby projects we run in Africa and India that make such a difference to young lives."

Carlos Miranda, chief executive, I.G. Advisors

"My 2014 new year resolution for the third sector is straightforward. I'd like charities and social enterprises to communicate in more personal ways with their key stakeholders. I'm particularly referring to big donors. Many organisations do an adequate job of communicating with their networks. However, charities and social enterprises can always improve how they engage with their most generous individual and institutional donors.

"The competition for funds is fierce, so third sector organisations need to build strong relationships with those that fund them. No better place to start than by ensuring that all communications are personalised and meaningful. Need an example? The next time you get a sizeable gift, send a handwritten note from your chief executive. I guarantee your donor will remember it."

Justin Forsyth, chief executive, Save the Children

"In the last few months I have seen at first hand how children have been killed, maimed and even tortured in Syria and the Central African Republic. I will never forget the shock and fear in the eyes of a little 6-year-old girl I met who had been shot in her arm and sadly had to have it amputated by our doctor. No child should have to go through that.

"We could be the first generation to end preventable child deaths in our lifetime. My driving focus in 2014 will be to accelerate this change."

Joe Saxton, founder, nfpSynergy and chair, People & Planet

"My resolutions are:

1. To find some great new trustees.

2. To build our unrestricted income. This is one of those resolutions that is easier to say than do.

3. To improve our diversity. As an organisation P&P has passion, commitment, and energy, but we are poor on diversity in terms of ethnicity, and especially at many of the top universities.

4. To improve our staff pay. We have a flat management structure at P&P and no director. All managers are paid the same, but this is under the market rate, and passion and energy don't pay the bills, sadly.

5. To make our Green League a thriving social enterprise. P&P's Green League has changed the way that universities see their environmental responsibilities (in part thanks to the Guardian's media support). We now want it to be self-funding through sponsorship, consultancy and fees from the university sector. It's a big ask, but it's possible."

Aneeta Prem, founder, Freedom Charity

"To make a new year resolution that I will keep beyond 3 January is a challenge! That said, we are looking at positives that we can build on, rather than things that we want to give up (like working 20 hours a day!).

"I want to say 'stop firefighting', but I will break that one before I have finished typing this list. I want to work on funding by writing bids and applying to trusts and funders, to ensure Freedom is sustainable, so I can work somewhere other than my kitchen counter. I want to attract trustees who have the skills and qualities to help us grow, and to attract and retain a strongly committed and motivated volunteer group, to reach our full potential.

"Finally, 2014 is the year forced marriage is due to become a criminal offence – something that Freedom Charity has been campaigning hard for. An important resolution is to ensure that we continue to raise national awareness of forced marriage. Making sure we visit at least 50 schools and colleges, so every young person knows what the warning signs of a forced marriage are, and what to do if they spot them.

"We also intend to make a training film that will help professional people including teachers, the police and MPs, understand their responsibilities in relation to preventing forced marriages and dishonour-based violence."

Rebecca Goding, head of news and media relations, Action for Children

"I will be focusing on getting the children and young people from our centres across the UK more involved in the media work we do.

"Most of it revolves around fundraising and campaigning. Children are always at the forefront of our minds, but sometimes we forget just how powerful and important they are to the charity's causes and speak for them, rather than with them.

"In 2014, I will be doing much more to keep them involved, help us reach wider audiences, and transform other children's lives."

Emily Jesshope, fundraising and communications officer, Quest4Change

"I want to dedicate more time to soliciting project grants from charitable trusts and foundations, engaging with our supporters and ex-volunteers, encouraging them to become Quest4Change ambassadors and organising their own fundraising events. I also aim to help the creation of an annual worldwide day of support for Quest4Change – to foment an active supporter base."

To hear more from voluntary sector leaders visit our Leader's Voices series and join the voluntary sector network.


theguardian.com © 2014 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds










IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 3556536

Comments